Friends: Seasonal Items?

Lady Question of the Week:
What is a good friend? Do you think it gets more difficult or easier to meet and maintain friendships as you get older?
I have had the same group of friends since I was six and eleven. I know I have matured (sort of) since then, but I do wonder why sometimes. I have met many people whom I adore and have built relationships with and perhaps they are my friends. But the friendship I am talking about is honest, unselfish, unwavering, wound healing, wound giving, trustworthy friendship.
I am wise enough to know that you cannot expect this from everyone you react with, but am I being a pessimist when I ask, where are all the “good” people?
I have a friendship that I built with a friend of mine that is absolutely a task to maintain. Most people would say, let it go. But there is a history and a trust between us that no one can break. Or can they? I have a hard time trusting this friend with the simplicities of life, but have seen them keep intimate details of me in confidence. We also have personality clashes. We don’t agree on a number of things, but when we do it makes for a good time. I am tired of the maintenance that this friendship requires. I don’t know where we stand from day to day. Am I crazy? Are they crazy? Or are we simply incompatible as friends? How do you determine what a good friend is and the importance that they serve in your life? Unfortunately, because my life is in such a transitional stage, I have opted to end my friendship with my friend and I think it’s a relief on both of our parts.
So I need your input. What do you think? Water under the bridge? Or Burn the Bridge?
Also, what characteristics do you value and/or must have in a friend?

1 comment

Anonymous | June 29, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Wow this is deep! Is it really over? Or do you KNOW that it should be
over? Maybe you should make a list of pros and cons and as they say if
the good outweight the bad then yes it is time to drop the friendship.
Don't want to be the bag lady carring leftover regrets, hurts, and
dirty laundry that shouldn't be your to carry!

Post a Comment