From the Gentle Man's Perspective

I was chatting online, and being a linguist, I started a conversation concerning nothing of consequence:





20:45  ME                   what are these characters called? }{}{}{}}}}}{{{

20:46  OtherGent        hah, I'm not sure

20:46  OtherGent         "curly brackets" ?

20:47  ME                    I prefer "squiggly brackets," but I doubt either are proper terms... think "ampersand" or "tilda"(after a leisurely search, I find a wiki)

20:55  ME                    looks like we're both... CORRECT?!?!?!?

20:55  ME                    "'Curly brackets – also called braces (US), Squiggly Brackets (UK) or flower brackets (India) – are  sometimes used in prose to indicate a series of equal choices: "Select your animal {goat, sheep, cow, horse} and follow me.'"

20:56  AnotherGent     "curly" if I'm talking seriously, and "squiggly" if I'm feeling a bit giddy

20:58  ME                    "squiggly" is such a British word

21:05  ME                    I can totally imagine an elderly Englishman with a stuffy accent, wearing a suit (complete with bowler hat, monocle, cane, and pocket-watch and chain), saying nothing but "squiggly" over and over again until the end of time.

21:05  OtherGent        LMFAO

21:05  ME                   SQUIGGLY  SQUIGGLY  SQUIGGLY  SQUIGGLY  SQUIGGLY  SQUIGGLY  SQUIGGLY  SQUIGGLY  SQUIGGLY  SQUIGGLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!1!11!!!!!!

Reply to this post

Post a Comment